Horse Power and its Effectiveness

digi digi at saturn.terahertz.net
Mon Dec 13 12:50:53 GMT 1999

interesting thoughts,

but you forgot torque. my understanding, hosepower is the ability to do
torque over time. it takes time to reach the torque peak, more horse power
the quicker it can reach that.

g-force is a result of torque. your mass, has the resistance of gravity,
it is holding you back, thats what pushes you into your seat. torque
accelerates the vehicle, and everything thats bolted down, you feel the
pressure of being accelerated.

now were getting into inertia stuff. in space, where there is no gravity,
t every action has a equal and opposite reaction. if you accelerate to
100mph, and maintain it exactly (in theory), if you dont move you shouldnt
feel it.

however, if you move, then you feel the velocity. as very slightly, every
action has a equal and opposite reaction. it'll produce resistance to the
acceleration, causing you body to feel deacceleration, then, acceleration
by the vehicle.

im probably grossly wrong here. but my understanding is that gravity is
providing the only resistance, which is in the force pulling down, which
in turn produces friction etc etc and makes it what requires so much power
to accelerate.

horsepower is directly related to g-force, however, its not just your own
mass that it is accelerating, it is the mass of the entire transport
mechanism your in.

which to measure acceleration by power, you must divide the mass by power.

these are just guesses, i have no real refrences. so please, please, feel
free to correct me if im wrong.

just some thoughts, in the never ending quest for knowledge.

more people will correct your bluff than answer your question.