Horse Power and its Effectiveness

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Tue Dec 14 14:50:24 GMT 1999

>Mike Rolica
>Meridian Magnesium Products
>Strathroy, Ont
>Ext. 260

NO--a large part of it is more horsepower per unit of engine WEIGHT. The
lower heating value (per pound) of diesel fuel is actually somewhat LOWER
than the lower heating value of gasoline. (hexadecane (cetane) = 18,898
BTU/lb., 6.45 #/gallon; isooctane = 19,065 BTU/lb., 5.77 #/gallon , Yes,
the diesel is somewhat more dense, but barely more than enough to make up
the difference in heating value--BUT--heating value per POUND is far more
significant for an aircraft than heating value per GALLON!

Greg