Horse Power and its Effectiveness

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Wed Dec 15 03:38:41 GMT 1999

Gary Derian wrote:

> because boost is not limited by detonation.  The only limit is mechanical
> and thermal stress.
>
> Compare a 350 Olds Diesel to a 350 Olds gas engine.  I don't have the specs
> but I will eat my cone shaped hat if the diesel has more torque.  Even
> Mercedes diesels have less torque than their equivalent gas engines (atmo to
> atmo).

Diesels make more torque because they are higher compression, therefore more
efficient. Period...

If you want to compare a converted gas engine, not enough compression. Let's see
your gas engine make 400 HP at 1200 rpm. Easy for a diesel. Diesel fuel burns
slower, hense less RPM (and corresponding HP).