95 vs 96 pcm

Andrew Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 15 19:23:16 GMT 1999

Ken Kelly wrote:

>         I do have an 8051 that I took from a 95 Black and white, I
> can verify that the VAT is enabled in this PCM if you want.

Just as another data point, my spare 16188051 PCM came from a 4.6L '94
L99 Caprice, and it has the VATS bit set to "Enabled". I know nothing
else about the car - only interested in the PCM - don't know if it
actually had VATS or just this mystery knocker box. Its fuel/timing/etc.
maps were *very* different than those of the aluminum headed 5.7L LT1
cousin motor. Kind of a neat thing to see how different they were. :)
Surprisingly, though, my motor did start with that tuning... (when I
tested the PCM at the junkyard). If I'd known how different they were
tuned, though, I might not have tried. ;)

-Andrew