Average Horse Power

Joe Boucher gmefigearhead at juno.com
Fri Dec 17 02:55:39 GMT 1999

> The final result, is we are dealing with the AREA of the graphs. If
> dyno run has a greater area, it will tend to have a greater AVERAGE
> of
> horsepower, than a car with a similar horsepower range with a graph
> with
> a smaller area. Of course mass also plays a significant role, and
> basically your final result is:
>
> Constant = Average Horsepower / Mass

Okay,
The only area under the curve to be considered is the area used during
the race.  When you shift from 1st to 2nd the engine rpm doesn't drop to
idle.  The rpm range for a particular gear set may be from 4000 to 7000
rpm, so you want to set up the engine for maximum torque in that rpm
range.  Change the gears, change the rpm range for maximum "average"
torque.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '90 Bonneville  '93 Suburban