Eractic O2 sensor

Ken Kelly kenkelly at lucent.com
Sat Dec 18 01:46:59 GMT 1999

Andy,
	Your readings are correct and accurate. The standard O2 sensor really behaves
more like a switch than a linear scale. Your PCM/ECM just looks for it to switch
accross the 14.7 to 1 voltage. As soon as it crosses the ECM starts to force it
the other way while it is in closed loop. That means that in closed loop (read
part throttle) it will oscilate back and forth at a fast rate. At Wide Open
Throttle it goes into Open loop, and tries to set the AFR to about 12 to 1
therefore the ocsillation stops.

	You really need a wide band O2 sensor to get good readings. Some people claim
that with adequate damping you can get a sense of the AFR from a standard O2
sensor. You obviously don't have enough damping in your circuit.

		Ken