'96 LT-1 ALDL data stream

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 21 15:52:03 GMT 1999

At 09:42 AM 12/21/1999 -0600, you wrote:

>David Cooley wrote:
> > Hmm..
> > I didn't think there was ALDL anymore with OBD-II... According to the SAE
> > pinouts of the connector, they don't show anything with ALDL, only the 3
> > different versions of OBD-II (GM's PWM, Ford's VPW, and Chrysler/foreign
> > auto ISO-9141-2)
>
>A couple of years ago Tom Hussey sent me a DOS based program that he'd
>written to extract stuff from his '97 PCM (VIN, DTC's, and some other
>goodies). Some of the commands/parameters worked on my OBDI PCM, some
>didn't (I don't think my IAT was really at 64000 degrees F).
>Unfortunately, I lost the program (a few computers ago), but the point
>is, I was using the same old MAX232 interface to the serial port to do
>it, and he was using the same type interface. I don't know about 1996
>cars, but 1995 GM F-bodies (Camaro Z28, Trans Am, etc) use the OBDII
>connector (though they're OBDI), and they use Pin 9 for serial data. I
>don't know if '96 uses this same pin or not (it's not a "standard" OBDII
>pin, so it's a manufacturer optional pin).

Ah.
My 95 Lesabre had the 16 pin J1960 plug and was 8192 baud ALDL.
Just didn't know they included the "legacy" interface with the OBD-II PCM
(96 up) UNLESS because 96 was a transitional year (first year of true
OBD-II across the board) they left the ALDL in for a failsafe or for
dealerships that did not have OBD-II compliant machines. (like the old Tech 1)

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!