Where to start?

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 9 01:53:25 GMT 1999

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:
> I use a parallel port cable, connected to flip-flops also,
> thus achieving the 50/50 duty cycle as well, as follows:

Interesting approach. :) I've done some direct programming with the
parallel port... Hmm... ;) It has 12 outputs and 5 inputs (ignoring that
bidirectional thing - and add some 74373's, I got 22 outputs and 5
inputs). Qbasic rocks... Maybe you just found me a use for that other
old Toshiba T1000 8088 laptop. As a side note, back in college I put
together a personal document for using the parallel port with C and/or
Qbasic. If anyone's interested, I can upload it to ftp (once I pull it
off the old, old hard disk). Easier to write a 5 line Qbasic program
than to board up a 555... And with a little software tweak, it'd be
pretty easy to have multiple pulsing outputs.

> I had intended to actually write real code where I could
> adjust "dials" on the PC, and have it provide a full cycle
> use test of the ECM, however I didn't get that industrious
> unfortunately.

Hmm, too bad my LPT D/A interface is only one output... ;) Anyone know
of an analog demux that holds its last output? Hmm, PC-bench based
"motor simulation" software. :^D

I started looking at the 68HC11 book I have. :( I need to read up on
assembly language! Get something a little more basic... Dumb question,
but anyone know of a good, basic assembly language introduction on the
'net? The brain needs to be fed...

Back to lurk mode...

-Andrew