Beginning at the beginning

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Feb 11 04:27:57 GMT 1999

>Shannen wrote:
>>Maybe we could get some idea over the next few days about everyone,
>>what background they've got, etc.

Deep breath--

OK This be me--

Interested in this list to learn. I, so far, have learned from the diy &
332 lists just how little I know about code and programming. Spose it dates
me, but while in college, I actually wrote some simple Fortran stuff. Also
can remember kicking around and pestering my late dad on some Saturday AM's
when he was writing code for an IBM 7070!!

Have an engineering degree (BS) in Machine Design from Cornell, also an MBA
in finance & policy from same place. While an undergrad--got to take a
course in aerospace propulsion systems form a Brit, the director of the ME
school at the time, who was involved in building and testing the very first
turbo jet engines in the thirties. I'm a Registered Professional Engineer
in Colorado and Utah. Have run my own engineering shop in Steamboat
Springs, Co. since '80. List of vehicles and other stuff below. For a
living , do a lot of residential and commercial engineering and design work
(even a wee bit of industrial stuff), across several disciplines--civil,
soils, structural, mechanical, & electrical. Earlier on had some experience
in Shipyards, (mechanical) power transmission industry, automotive oem
mfg., heavy construction, and both nuclear and conventional power
generation construction and start-up. Among other things, used to contract
with the Colorado Tramway Safety Board to do safety inspections on ski
lifts. Find life boring if doing the same thing alla time!!

Also went to a private high school whose endowments were tied to its
industrial arts curriculum, so had the pleasure (and privelege) of taking
3.5 years of machine shop from a seriously old school German--Johannes had
gotten his master's papers in the old country befors the FIRST war. You
touched nothing but a file in his shop for the firts eight weeks!! Didn't
get to push the "GO" switch onna machine tool until you had memorized the
name of every single part on the machine.

Been fiddlin' with cars since high school--from flatheads to Ferraris, most
stuff in between, plus some heavy and medium trucks and heavy equipment.
Also have driven about all of it, sometimes sorta competitively.

Have at times made a living as a mechanic and as a Millwright. Once
belonged to both the AFL and the UMW version of the Millwrights union.

Learned quite a bit about control theory along the way--starting up
powerplants, also in commercial HVAC design. As most of you prolly know
from the other lists, I have been applying what I know of this stuff in
fits and spurts together with what I have learned along the way about how
an engine runs to efi and engine control functions as we know them from the
lists.

Been kind of a kick, at times, trying to apply what I know about starting
up a 2500 HP, 7200 volt, 3 phase AC motor, or a 600 HP SCR variable  speed
drive/ DC motor combo (onna ski lift) or a 450 HP 2200 v 3 phase
synchronous yard air compressor drive motor to explaining away wive's tales
on e-mail lists about how a cranking motor or a fuel pump motor will
respond to different situations!

I think at this point, I have learned quite a bit about the inner workings
of control computers from participating and reading on the efi lists,
unfortunately, at this point, I feel like the biggest part of what I have
learned so far is the HUGE extent of what I STILL NEED TO LEARN so as to be
halfway literate!!

All I can promise at this point is that I will be listening, carefully, and
trying not to ask too many idiotic questions. If I see something going off
in a direction that seems contrary to good control theory or practice, or
good engine tuning/building practice, I will try to point it out--like the
comment the other day about using an accumulator.

Although sometimes just a wee fuzz fiesty and/or unbelievably stubborn, I
always try to bring a professional attitude and behavior to any technical
discussions.

Below, a list of present and past vehicles (parts hulks omitted for brevity).

the newbie is a '93 Tracker.

3 Scout Travellers--one '79, two '77's . One of these is in the process of
acquiring 3/4 ton running gear. Another is about to get a flanged hub Dana
60 rear. 392's in the works.

'69 IH 1300 (10 K GVW) 4x4 flatbed with 392 and 4x3x2 gears, No-spins in
both ends, and 7.50x17 studded duallys (33" tall) . Gonna have to build
some wheels soon (6 on 7-1/4" circle Budd pattern), since 7.50x17 traction
tread tires are now history. Will go with the existing centers in 19.5"
rims, use 265-.70x 19.5 tires to get modern.

'70 IH 1500 (14K GVW) 4x4 dump truck currently getting gone thru. Gonna get
5x3x2 gears, and No-Spins, mebbe a 446. If I get the 446 swap figgered out
, prolly will HAVE to do one for the 1300, too. Can't have them being
jealous! Prolly go with 275-.70 x 22.5 , 38" tires.

'69 Scout 800A, 392, wide ratio T-19 4 speed with a Ranger splitter.

'58 Dodge W-300 (1 ton) 4x4, 440 6-pack. (Dana 70's, front and rear)

' 68 Volvo 142 with full factory rally suspension.

'72 Volvo 164e, Overdrive.

'76 Massey Ferguson (really a Hanomag with decals) 44C 3 yard (wheel type)
front loader (440 cid NA 4 cyl diesel). (17.50x25 Tires :-) --It do keep
the driveway open! Pays for its keep by doing same for neighbors when they
get in deep trouble.

.57 IH Cub Lowboy tractor & several implements. (definitely have a need for
a bigger tractor--looking for an H or an M, mebbe a C.

,72 IH Travelette (like a Travelall, but chopped behind the rear seat, has
about a 4'-6" long pick-up box. Currently getting a set of 1300 4x4 running
gear to make into a short wheelbase, crew cab, heavy gooseneck hauler.

'66 Streamline (predecessor to Newell) motorhome. Currently building a 621
cid (.060" bore) version of an IH 605 V-8 (petrol) engine for it . Will
have 4 turbos and efi. Also an Allison MT-42 six speed with lock-up
convertor and a hydraulic retarder (gotta git down the hills too----) <G>

Past adventures:

'66 Scout 800

'74 RX3 Wagon

'61 Corvair 100 4 door spoon shift (Ithaca winter beater)

' 65 Alfa Guilia Spyder Veloce (daily driver with the 1600 built to about
170 HP and serious suspension and tires, flared fenders) VERY QUICK!!!
(Sorry this one rusted away.)

'51 Jag MarkV drophead coupe with 350 HP (or so) built 4.2 and all synchro
OD and Mk X independent rear and Mk IX front discs. REAL sorry this one got
away!

'64 GTO (Pontiac, unfortunately) that came from Poncho with the higher rise
heads and manifold, hotter cammed, 360 HP 389 cid, '65 model year tri-power
engine, and Muncie, not BW tranny. VERY late production '64, strange car.
came with the shiny, not blacked out, Tempest grill, but with the GTO
emblem. Faster than stink--the '65 motor was a LOT more than 12 HP stronger
than the advertised increase over the '64 tri-power, but the '64 car was
about 350 lbs lighter than the '65. Did not lose a lot of street races.
Sorry it got away, too.

'58 MGA with Nash Metro engine.

Well--that seems to have turned into way more than anyone prolly wanted to
know--

Regards, Greg