Another Intro + DIS w/ '749 .bin

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Fri Feb 12 21:35:52 GMT 1999

In a message dated 2/12/99 11:47:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
nacelp at bright.net writes:

<< Are there two pickups?.
 What are you sending these signals too?.
 Bruce

 >Actually, my DIS uses a reluctor/coil trigger.  At least that's how I got
 it
 >working on my engine!  I welded bolt heads to a pulley every 60degrees,
 plus
 >the reference "bolt" 10degrees ATDC.  Plus the magnetic pickup, of course.

There is only one pickup.  It is the ruluctor/magnetic coil type.  It sends
it's signal to the DIS module.
In the original 2.8L v6, from which the DIS module came, Had a reluctor wheel
cast into the crank.  The sensor is inserted into the block and comes within
.050inces of the wheel.
MY car did not have this reluctor-wheel cast into the crank, so I turned an
unused pulley into my reluctor and relocated the sensor to a bracket I
fabricated by that pulley.  I welded bolt heads to the pulley in the
appropriate pattern.
The pattern that the DIS module needs to see in order to function is this:
One pulse every 60 degrees PLUS a synch pulse 10 degrees After Top Dead Center
(7 pulses). All these pulses go through the one sensor.
So the DIS module synchs itself that way.  It then sends a non-synched signal
to the ECM.  It communicates with the ECM in the same way an HEI module would.
All the wires have the same color code and there are the same number of total
wires.  I believe the plugs are even the same.  I could unplug the harness
from my DIS module and plug it into an HEI module and all the wires would
match up and function EXCEPT that the signal the DIS sends is inverted from
the signal an HEI module would send.  It stays high and then goes low when
there is a pulse instead of staying low and then going high when there is a
pulse (like the HEI).

Ted