RAMCAL, was Re: EPROM emulator

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Wed Feb 17 20:17:08 GMT 1999

steve ravet wrote:
> Speaking for myself only, I don't have interest in any device which
> requires changing code or wiring inside the ECM.  You're talking about
> also writing special scan tool type software to generate the special
> read cycles, right?  It all sounds very non-portable to me.

No wiring changes would be needed in an ECM.  The code in the ECM would
need to be patched to add the ALDL write command.  Also needed is
software for a laptop/desktop computer which downloads table/code
changes.  Note, the scan tool software doesn't generate the special
cycles, the patched code in the ECM does.

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> I thinks we may be over the $50, so just one depending on price for CSH, HQ,
> but with the staff we got here might have to get a spare, anyway.

The price of a RAMCAL would be a lot less than $50:

  $4.50  128KByte SRAM
  $4.75  PLD
  $3.00  Two 34 pin male headers cut and pasted to form a 66 pin header
  $3.00  Two 34 pin female headers cut and pasted
  $1.25  32 pin machined pin socket
  $1.50  44 pin PLCC socket
  $0.25  Decoupling capacitors
  $5.00  Circuit board 3.5" x 2.0"
---------
 $23.25

Well, so it wasn't a _lot_ less, but these were the quantity one
component prices.