HALP Sunbird

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun Jun 6 13:23:53 GMT 1999

Peter Fenske wrote:

> Hi Shannen and all
>
> With the 90 2.0 LT2 K engine with 5 spd
> WHY did gm design both a manuel engine
> block and a auto block. So I have just discovered.
>
> Is there any way to do the conversion to auto
> Starter is on different side for auto than manuel is
> main problem.
>
> :peter
This is the first I've heard of this.  I'm pretty sure the starter on
the Cavalier is in the front of the block with either transmission.
This goes for the 60 degree V6, and the 2.0/2.2 with the OHV and short
valve
cover.  Is your starter on the front of the engine with the manual
trans?  That's where it is on my 93 cav.
I would look into making a template out of a manilla folder or cereal
box for locating holes on the correct side of the block.  Patience,
care, and a good drill might solve the problem.  Then you'll need the
correct starter, of course.  I'm surprised that GM didn't drill and
tap both sides of the block.  What else is different between the two?
Shannen