Peak and Holds in a '165

Peter Gargano peter at ntserver.techedge.com.au
Wed Jun 9 04:10:39 GMT 1999

Jon Fedock wrote:

>     I am not familiar with he term ASIC, but I'll ASSume that it is some
> kind of surface mount PITA-to-remove chip. Thanks for the info. :)

ASIC = Application Specific IC (Integrated Circuit)

Despite what the name may suggest, ASICs are usually fabricated
using libraries of pre-existing functional blocks (like building
a motor by taking a manifold from this model, pistons from another
model etc.). These functional blocks may be UARTs, memory, perhaps
even the core of a microprocessor (a Z80 like cpu can be implemented
in about 20k transistors, apparently). These blocks are interconnected
in the last stage of the IC fabrication process.

Another form of ASIC is the EPLD, or Electrically Programmable
Logic Device which is a collection of logic gates that can be
"programmed" to make up a larger functional unit, like a CPU
or UART etc. The programming involves working out how to connect
these gates, and in an EPLD, this is a "soft" function that can
be reprogrammed.

The term ASIC has also come to mean a generic term for a black box,
that has often been pre-programmed, that processes some input
and produces some output. Also the ASIC cannot usually be purchased
across the counter :-(.  ASICs are great if you don't want someone to
easily copy your design.

So, what does "surface mount PITA-to-remove chip" mean?

regards,
--
Peter Gargano