Edelbrock TBI Conversion 101

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Jun 11 00:45:42 GMT 1999

jweir at att.net wrote:

> So are you saying that with every ignition pulse (at the
> coil) there is an injector event.. ?
>
> Maybe I need a basic course in how a TPI batch system
> works...

Maybe your confusion stems from the different types of port
injection.  I'm sure there are variations that I don't know of, but GM
batch fire systems fire multiple injectors at once.  During
synchronous mode operation, one ignition reference pulse into the ecm=
one injector pulse out.  For simplicity, think of synchronous mode as
happening during cruise.

I believe the 165 fires 8 injectors/each ignition pulse.  I say this
only because other list members have said there's only one injector
driver in this ecm.  I know that early 2.8 engines are double batch
fire, 2 banks of 3 injectors.  These systems alternate banks with each
reference pulse, front then rear.  This is what the converted TBI
system will do.  Then there's sequential injection.  Sequential
injection fires 1/2 of the total injectors, one with each reference
pulse, during each crankshaft revolution. Takes 2 revs to complete the
firing order, therefore 2 revs to fire all injectors.  Help?
Shannen