MAF & base fuel tables

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 23 22:36:43 GMT 1999

At 05:34 PM 6/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Just had another thought - the screens wouldn't make any difference. But
>while I was thinking, while I was cutting the grass, there is something
>called ALDL spark add which basically says that while the system is in ALDL
>mode 8 degrees (according to the memcal) will be added to the spark timing.
>This is mentioned in the service manual as "may" be added. I have pursued
>this in the past to no avail but now since I have the calibration I should
>know in the next weeks or so whether it adds it or not (I can change the
>amount added). Just a little tid bit that may influence how you look at the
>output of your Diacom (which I also use).

On the Buick GN (C3 ECM and Turbo SFI V6), removing both MAF screens made
the car run like crud... the screens "straightened" the airflow before the
sensing element (Laminar flow).  without them, the flow was more turbulent
and MAF values would jump all over with a steady RPM/load.  The GN MAF's
had 2 screens, and they would remove 1 and leave the other for a minimal
gain with no detrimental effects.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!