HC11 programming (was reset vector on a 68hc11)

Bill Shaw bshaw at connix.com
Tue Jun 29 02:06:10 GMT 1999

>> It might be quicker to just re-write the code in C.
>
>I was thinking that, but it's nice to see how it was done.

I like the idea of using tables compatable with the GM code and using
custom code to work with them.  We'd be able to use promedit or some
equivilent to manage the tables,  and have all the mystery of the GM code
gone. Maybe instead of reverse engineering the GM code we should start an
effort to design the custom C code?

>>Do you have an hc11 emulator?  It's really tough to get any significant
>>piece >of code running
>> without one.
>
>nope, don't have one. any idea of price for one?

If Charlie's could be bought for a few hundred it'd be a good deal.  Looks
like about $800 for a new Wytec setup for one hc11 variant family.  Then
the problem becomes the C compiler.  I know there's stuff out there for
Unix,  but are there any shareware or freeware C compilers for DOS?
Charlie's Cosmic compiler is a good one (I've used the cpu32 version) but
even if he'd part with it for a few hunderd,  now we're up to $600-$800,  a
good deal for a full development solution,  but still kind of pricy for a
hobby tool.

>> I'm thinking about using a newer GP PCM like this,  with a 68332 and BDM
>> board from the EF332 project.
>
> once again any idea of price for one. I have a 730 and harness ( thanks
>Paul >T.)
>so I thought it would do.

BDMs are cheap, about $16 in the group buy. No idea on junkyard prices for
the newer GM ECMs,  but I've been told here on this list about $200 new for
the PCM,  and about $250 core.  The problem again becomes the C compiler,
not to mention much less public knowledge of the newer PCMs.

The 730 (or 749) isn't a bad choice.  They've been well hacked and probably
wouldn't be too tough to put together a memory map.

Bill