More EPROM Emulator ideas

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Tue Mar 2 07:51:09 GMT 1999

TI has added a JTAG interface to a lot of the standard octal
buffer/latch/transceiver chips.  The transceivers are even available in
18 and 20 bit versions.  We could implement dual port access to standard
memories by using these chips instead of muxes.  Two of the wide chips
and two octal chips would be enough to interface two banks of RAM.  The
ECM gets access to the memory by letting signals flow through the
buffers in normal mode.  The PIC gets access by switching to a JTAG test
mode and intercepting the signals.  A plus for us is that the JTAG port
needs only 4 pins on the PIC - an 18 pin PIC might be able to run the
whole emulator.  Minuses:  These chips are expensive, about $10 each.
The bigger ones use packaging just as scary as the Cypress DPRAMs.

IDT's web pages say that their 64K*8 dual port RAM is available in an 84
pin PLCC - who was it that said only the smaller devices were available
in such sensible packages?

IDT also has what they call a SARAM - Sequential Access RAM.  It is a
form of dual port RAM, one port is a normal RAM port, the other sort of
like a FIFO where the memory chip keeps track of the address.  We could
hook the normal port to the ECM and the sequential port to the PIC.
This reduces the number of I/O's needed on the PIC.  The biggest device
IDT has is 8K*16, which we could easily use as two banks of 8K*8.  This
isn't really big enough - a 64K*8 DPRAM makes a lot more sense.

At the risk of creeping featurism, the emulator should have an EPROM
reader socket.  This allows a user to pull the stock chip out of an ECM,
copy the data into the emulator (or a laptop), and start tuning - all
without needing a separate EPROM reader/burner.

Actually, an optional EPROM programmer (for a limited number of devices)
would be a nice feature.