DIS with 749.bin success

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 16:34:10 GMT 1999

mpitts at netspeak.com writes:

> Congratulations, that is totally awesome!  So you
>  were able to get the DIS to work perfectly without
>  any additional electronics?

Yes, but I haven't driven it on the road yet, but in the garage in nuetral
everything seems to run smoothly.  And the advance shown on my scanner matches
the advance I see with a Timing light which matches the advance I put in the
EPROM.

>  Could you scan some photos of your reluctor pulley?
>  I'm very curious to see how you made it and attached
>  it.  Did you attach it to the front of the balancer?
>  Also, would it be possible to scan or create some
>  pics of the 'scope traces you witnessed?

I haven't figured out how to get a screenshot of what I see in the sound
editing software (which is how I viewed it).  As for the flywheel, I didn't
have the foresight (or patience) to take a photo before I put it in my car.  I
tried taking a picture with it in the car but it is hard to see.  One
afternoon I'll just have to pull the pulley and take a proper photo.
What I did is make a reluctor wheel out off a pulley that was not in use (ex-
smog pump pulley ;)  I welded some bolt heads on to the edge of the pulley in
the appropriate pattern.
ALL pulses including the sync pulse go thru the one wire.  It's a different
system than the Buick DIS.
There is one pulse every 60 degrees PLUS one sync pulse 10 degrees AFTER the
TDC pulse for a total of 7 pulses.
They go like this:
PP     P      P      P      P      P      PP     P      P, etc.

>  Does the synch pulse go through the same wire as the
>  crank 60 degree pulses?  I'm just curious if the 2.8L
>  DIS differs from the Buick style DIS.

Ted