ESC errors

Jason Weir jweir at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 11 03:19:34 GMT 1999

Ward Spoonemore wrote:

> 1. Is there a GM 1/2 card installed ?

What??? If I have to ask what a 1/2 card is does that mean I don't have
one?  I dont believe I have one, the system is based off of a 88-91 GM
full-size pickup with the 4.3 V6.  Should I have one??

> 2. what calibration are you running. several of the do not have ESC
> enabled.

Calibration is one of my own not sure which GM cal it is based on but
ESC is enabled and it works great for a while, then all of the sudden I
get an ESC circuit failure, then the knock counts cycle through 255 over
and over.  This is the same code set when you unhook the timing
connector to set the static timing.

> 3. generaly there is a problem with older knock system sensing false knock,
> partucularly is the sensor is near a header.

Could be but the knock sensor is in the stock location, and the vehicle
has stock manifolds. And from experience when I really crank up the
timing so I can hear the knock the sensor detects it. but under normal
conditions it detects knock and retards timing way before you ever hear
it.

> 4. way to find if it actaul knock is to take out 8 - 10 deg timing and see
> if it continues.
> 5. Real knock once started is hard to stop.

I still get the error even when I take out enough timing to ensure that
I am getting no knock, although the wire from the knock sensor does
snake real close to a couple of plug wires so it might be a noise
problem.

> On Tue, 09 Mar 1999 21:47:40 -0500, Jason Weir wrote:
>
> > Ok we all know that one of GM's 7747 calibration's ESC counts would do a
> > 0-255-0-255-0-255 and so on.. Well I have a problem with my 7747 setup,
> > most of the time its ok but sometimes I get an ESC code and as soon as
> > the ESC code sets the counts start to recycle until I shut off and
> > restart the engine.  I have not been able to determine whether or not
> > this occurs at the same time the ESC system is taking care of knock or
> > not.  Any ideas what might be the problem... thanks

Jason Weir
--
88 Wrangler - 155K miles and counting
258, 4.0 head, Cherokee header, 2 1/2 exhaust with high flow cat &