Reference Angle

Jason Weir jweir at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 11 03:25:40 GMT 1999

Ward Spoonemore wrote:

> 1. The ECM is active on the falling edge of the DRP, (this is the Dist ref
> Pulse).
> 2. the ECM has a calib val for sorting any static timing lead, 4 deg in big
> block, 0 fo small blocks.
> 3. the ECM obviously can not advance the timing( else we have time travel),
> It generates a pulse son number of usec's after the DRP, this corespondes to
>
> some number of degrees befor the next DRP, (not yet happened)

Ward,
	I understand that the ECM looks for the falling edge of the DRP, but
that is the signal coming out of the ignition module, what I am asking
is there a timing difference between the DRP and the actual triggering
of the mag pickup in the distributor?  So with the timing connector
disconnected (no ECM advance) and the static timing set a 0 deg, if the
mag pickup is set to fire at 5 deg BTDC when does the ECM see the DRP? 5
deg BTDC?  Does the ECM fire the injector and the sparkplug at the same
time, or a certain time (degrees) apart?

> On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:45:02 -0500, Jason Weir wrote:
>
> > With all this talk of DIS  and SyTy proms and the reference angles
> > between the pickup firing and TDC, can anyone tell me what the correct
> > angle between the pickup firing and TDC is on a 7747 system would be.
> > Would this be built into the ignition module or is it adjustable with in
> > the code? I looked through the code that I have and I didnt see any of
> > the variables referenced by Ted (KREFANGL & KMAXRTRD2) but that really
> > doesn't mean that they don't exist.  Due to the fact that my
> > distributor/pickup  is a non-GM unit and right now I have the pickup
> > firing as close to TDC as I can get but now I am not sure this is
> > correct.  just some more food for thought..

Jason Weir
--
88 Wrangler - 155K miles and counting
258, 4.0 head, Cherokee header, 2 1/2 exhaust with high flow cat &