peak-n-holds

Mike Pitts mpitts at emi.net
Sat Mar 20 21:08:38 GMT 1999

I messed around today, trying to get a '7148 ECM
to work with Cherry Semi. CS-453 peak-n-hold drivers.

What  I did was cut the old drivers out, then mapped out
the surrounding circuit.  I found that the emitter (E) is directly
grounded, the collector (C) goes directly to the injector and
also to a diode which in turn connects to a  zener diode
(Remember, this is a sequential box).  Lastly, the base (B)
connects via a 560 ohm-1/2W resistor from somewhere.
(Didn't feel like going further) I just assumed this is the signal.

The CS-453 is setup such that:
Lead-1 = Input Signal
Lead-2 = Control (just ground this)
Lead-3 = Ground
Lead-4 = Output to injector
Lead-5 = V+

I connected just one driver for testing as follows:

* L1 to the old base (B)
* L2 and L3 to ground (E)
* L4 to the old collector (C)
* L5 to a 330 ohm resistor, then to +12v ign. (As per Cherry diagram)

I didn't want to risk my injectors so I used a low ohm injector
I got from the junk yard.  I unplugged my injector harness under
the hood. 8-)

Thing is, this didn't work.  I hooked up a scope and for some
reason, I never saw an input signal while cranking.  Also, another
transistor on the board (looks like a power supply trans) got
*really* hot with the key on, no smoke, but too hot to touch.  The
part number on this HOT trans is 4433 (Ludis?)

I pulled the CS-453 back off and tried it with just a power supply.
It works fine that way.

I'm fairly electrically illiterate.  Is there some bonehead thing I'm
completely missing here?

Should I leave the oem drivers in-place and use their output
signal (inverted of course) to drive a completely new circuit
with the CS-453?

Thanks,
-Mike