Peak-n-hold failure!

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Mon Mar 22 18:53:34 GMT 1999

Mike, there are only two things that would cause a failure
of this type: excessive heat, or inductive kickback spike.

The PnH driver has to dissapate more heat than a saturated
driver, because of the hold current/voltage. Your heat sink
may not be large enough: 12.6W vs. ~1.2W for sat inject.

As for the zener, the CS453 datasheet shows a 42V breakdown
for the driver output transistor. You should use a 30 to 33
volt zener @ 10W (10 W => that from data sheet).

I like using the TVS type of zeners for this kind of
application. They are designed for inductive spike killing.
Also, you mentioned that the ECM uses one zener for a bunch
of drivers. This may place the zener too far from any one
device.

These zeners really need to be right at the leads of the
component that they are trying to protect.

HTH

BobR.