MAF History

Ward wspoonemore at excite.com
Sun Mar 28 21:05:14 GMT 1999

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:37:53 -0500, Andrew K. Mattei wrote:

> Ward wrote:
> >

> > If I wanted to use a MAF I would use the newer PCM that is used in MY94
- 95
> > F and Y cars, Its an under hood design, making wiring a lot simpler,
It's a
> > flash device eliminating EPROM's. Its re programmed via the ALDL
connector
> > at 8192 baud. Has the ability to handle any kind of transmission and
> > excellent diagnostics.  Sort of like using your old AT to your P2 PC.
> >

> Just curious... Is it possible to adapt an older style distributor
> (non-optical-pulse) for inputs to these PCM's? The LT1's/LT4's have a
> camshaft pin based opti-puke... err, optispark optical distributor
> mounted just under the water pump on the front of the motor, that has a
> nasty habit of failing (very susceptible to moisture damage - and it's
> mounted under the water pump? ;) ). I doubt they'd want to put an
> optispark on their motor, so, a conventional distributor would be
> required...
>
> (Thinking out loud... I suppose that you could give some kind of pulses
> off of a crank trigger... I think that's what Electromotive does with
> their opti-eliminator kit... Costs good $$, though...)
>
> -Andrew

You mask a good point, but agqain its already been done, the Cad's have a
crank trigger system that is adapable to the LT1 format.

This would alow you to uses some of the more exotic diagnostics.

Other alternitives are:
1) use a PIC chip to make an electronic converter
2) The cheapest is to re-write that part of the code.

Ward