165 aldl success at 160 baud

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 29 17:03:23 GMT 1999

>By using one of my efi332 boards, I was able to read the 160 baud aldl
>data stream from my '88 165 ecm using the tpu of the 68332 (no external
>chips, all software). I'm working on obtaining the fast data and
>considering Ludis' RAMCAL... i.e., can RAMCAL work on the 165.

I hope so ;^) I intend to use something like it (either the Emulator or
RAMCAL or some beast like that) for my 165. ;)

>In normal mode, the ecm writes 5-byte frames....
>  (engine running)
>  4 0 2 0 6a
>  0 0 4 0 6a
>  0 0 6 0 6a
>  4 0 9 0 6a
>  4 0 b 0 6a
>  4 0 c 0 6a
>Any one know what these mean?

I too am curious...

>Peter Paul Fenske wrote on two occations how to switch to 8192 mode.
>Once he said to send "80 57 01". Later, he said to send "F4 57 01 00
>CS". Has anyone done this or know what to send?

Well, I'm no PPF <G>, and I didn't know you could change baud rates (still
learning about the 165 - that's why I'm here!). However, the F4 command is
used in 8192 baud mode (I've used it on my '94 LT1 car). Here's an excerpt
from the document on Dave Hempstead's homepage... The full description is
there.

MODE 1  (TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 0)
        ALDL REQUEST:
        - MESSAGE ID            = $F4
        - MESSAGE LENGTH        = $57
        - MODE NUMBER           = $01
        - MESSAGE NUMBER        = $00
        - CHECKSUM

        THE ECM WILL RESPOND WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
        - MESSAGE ID            = $F4
        - MESSAGE LENGTH        = $92
        - MODE NUMBER           = $01
        - DATA BYTE 1
          .
          .

        - DATA BYTE 60
        - CHECKSUM

Dunno what the 80 54 xx message is for. But, I'm curious too... :)

Keep us posted as to what you find out. Thanks!

-Andrew