More Horsepower. More Torque!!

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 31 01:48:34 GMT 1999

Dave Hempstead wrote:
>    Given a stock GM engine (let's say, a '95  5.7 liter  LT-1, since
> that's what I have :-), what kind of differences in torque and
> horsepower can we get by modifying the computer??
> I don't know if the tuning companies are able/willing to give up on the
> pollution standards.

Disclaimer: *I'm not an expert*. ;) From what I've seen on the f-body
lists I've subscribed to, with the Hypertech Power Programmer (they
tweak the timing tables - requiring 92+ octane gas), LT1 folks gain
maybe a few rear wheel horsepower (5-10?), and maybe a bit of
performance in the quarter (<.10 sec  <2 mph).

Honestly, I am unsure of the performance payback from the efforts on a
stock system. However, change the camshaft and reprogramming gains can
be substantial (25+ horses over what the camshaft gives you). I have
friends running somewhat conservative cams (such as the LPE 211/219
cam), and they're getting ~350 hp at the rear wheels with mildly worked
heads, headers, and non-factory intake boxes.

What kind of tranny are you running? Reprogramming the pump pressure on
the Automatic 4L60E can give you a real kick in the pants =8^D Of
course, you can also accomplish that with a 10 ohm, 20 watt resistor...
(a la the B&M ShiftPlus)

You might peruse www.f-body.org, and maybe subscribe to the fourth-gen
mailing list... But beware the babble on that list (my exhaust is better
than yours kind of stuff)... I'm no longer on that one. ;)

-Andrew