Accel DFI or Street & Performance or Arizona Speed & Marine.

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun May 9 01:43:44 GMT 1999

>I am researching a fuel injection system for my 454 truck.
>I am looking for a recommendation. Can you guys help me out.  All
>systems are in the $2800-3500 price range.

Hi Chris--

You have not sadi whether you are planning to go TBI or TPI, but it sounds
like the latter.

The most economical way would be to do TBI with a 747 GM computer. There
should be lots of info in the list archives on this, and Dr. Plecan could
probably be persuaded to give you some advice.

If you want to do TPI, the first order of business is to come up with a
manifold and throttle body. This is not too hard, but not free. Accel's
offerings are not bad, but, for sure, shop hard for the best price on it.

If you are going TPI, I would suggest taking a HARD look at the F-P
performance (Fel-Pro/Federal Mogul) SEFI8LO computer, and seriously
consider spending some extra bucks for the wide band O2 option for it. The
FP unit is light years ahead of the ones you have mentioned in terms of
both performance and ease of programming.

I personally would not touch either of the other options (besides DFI) that
you mentioned with YOUR ten foot pole!

Another excellent unit to consider, and which is within or near your price
range, but which is not as user friendly as the F-P unit, is Autronics.

For a set-up like you are talking about--my feeling (ducking) is that Bosch
injectors would give you the best fuel economy, as they definitely give the
best fuel atomization.

If your engine is going to be rather cammy, and economy is out the window
anyway, I would be inclined to go with MSD injectors--MSD (same people as
the ignitions) sell blueprinted Rochesters, and the Rochesters have a
better dynamic range than the Bosch units.  Thus it would be some easier to
get your engine to idle and do light loads with the MSD's, if it has a big
cam, even though their fuel atomization is not quite as good as you get
with the Bosch pieces.

Regards, Greg