Misc Electronics

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Tue May 11 15:40:32 GMT 1999

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:38:31 -0400
> From: Bruce Plecan <nacelp at bright.net>
> To: gmecm at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu, diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Misc Electronics
>
> How, or is there a safe way to "open" the guts of an EPROM,  that is so that
> a ribbon cable can be soldiered to it, for using a remote prom/emulator.

I generaly get a big wad of solder heat up all the pins on one side,
then pry it up then do the same for the other side ( then solder the
ribbon cable down). I've sucessfuly done 56 pin tsops this way

> After a 3 month wait, I got a Radio Shack, PC/laptop 2 Oscilloscope probe
> (They had run out at the master distribution center).
> For the EEs probably it has little to offer but, least for me, I got to see
> what the ALDL looks like..

I use one like this at work ( www.virtualtools.com) good for everything
you don't want to drag out the big scope for

>    One big feature is that you can pick what colors contrast best for you.
> So us ol timers can see what going on.

and post output wave forms

>    On a side note, is there enough interest for me to put together some
> notes on an ecm bench?.  I got some digitial photos, to go along with it,
> just don't want to clutter the DIY stuff if not many are interested.

I am

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8