Misc Electronics

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Tue May 11 20:31:26 GMT 1999

King of Pointed Hats,

> How, or is there a safe way to "open" the guts of an EPROM,  that is so that
> a ribbon cable can be soldiered to it, for using a remote prom/emulator.

Instead of gutting an EPROM, which I've done, and rendered them
useless, you can buy a thingy from Jameco (or you used to be able to)
which would sit in the chip's socket, the chip into the thingy's
socket, and you'd have a ribbon cable hanging off it.  I bought one
several years ago for my C64 when I was playing with the video chips.

You can make your own using a wire wrap socket, solder a ribbon cable
to it, then shove it into the eprom's socket, and stick the eprom on
top of that.  Much less expensive than buying something for 30 bucks.

You could do the same thing and use a perf board, if that fits your
fancy.

> After a 3 month wait, I got a Radio Shack, PC/laptop 2 Oscilloscope probe
> (They had run out at the master distribution center).

Is that the thing that goes up to 100Mhz, or the older version that's
30Mhz-ish?

> what the ALDL looks like..

a 5Mhz scope could do that, and every so often at flea markets you
find them.  got one for $20 a year or two ago at a HS auction.

>    One big feature is that you can pick what colors contrast best for you.
> So us ol timers can see what going on.

Big time advantage!

> notes on an ecm bench?.  I got some digitial photos, to go along with it,
> just don't want to clutter the DIY stuff if not many are interested.

I for one would be very intersted in how you wired it... I've blown up
your pictures, rotate them, trying to figure out how you emulated your
sensors :)  That by coincidence is the point I'm at - I want to
simulate my 7749 run out of the truck :)

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport CT 06606

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HWMMV w/turbocharged 500cid Caddy
1975 Dodge D200 Club Cab soon to have 431 stroker + turbos
2000 (I hope) Buick GTP (Mid-Engined Sports Car)