Aargh. (was Re: Now what?)

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu May 27 11:31:34 GMT 1999

At 11:39 PM 5/26/99 -0500, you wrote:

>This leads me to my problem and why I originally joined this list. It has
>been 15 years since I did any programming. I have already pretty much come
>back up to speed on it but .............. I am for sure havinf problems with
>the interface to the PCM. As this is what I am really interested in (the
>late model OBDII stuff) it is all I have been consentrating on. Once I
>figure out how to talk to the blasted thing I should be fine. Also it
>probably has to do with a distinct lack of experience dealing with serial
>data streams. All I ever programmed was parrallel data. So ................
>I can help all of you to a point if you have questions about a particular
>string of instructions or a subroutine. What it is doing etc. Is there
>someone out there who can help me?

Scott,
Best place to start for the OBD_II stuff is SAE... Pick up their HS-3000
handbook.  Has all the protocols, formats etc all layed out.
There are 3 "flavors" of OBD_II communications... GM uses 1, Ford another
and chrysler the 3rd.  For a standard, It's not really... Still gives the
manufacturers leeway to make it what they want.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!