GM high level languages, was Re: Intro to microcontrollers (long)

thergen at svn.net thergen at svn.net
Thu May 27 21:09:26 GMT 1999

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Bill Shaw wrote:

> Is GM really using Modula to program these boxes?

"Our Gen 4 engine manager was the first to use a 32-bit processor and
first with a high-level language," Gray said.  "We started it late in
1992, tested it in 1993 and ran it on a race car in 1994.  It went into
production cars in 1995-96, and now 32 bits and high-level languages are
in all engine-control modules."

Quote from Electronic Engineering times, issue 1062, Monday, May 24, 1999
(www.eet.com), Article "Times People, Checkered flag goes Delphi
engineers", by Terry Costlow.  Quote attributed to Glen Gray, Delco.

The aritcle is primarily about how they designed a radio telemetry safety
system that lets Indy car drivers know when the yellow flag is out.

Tom