injector resistance changes - 12.5 to 14.5

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Fri May 28 02:37:45 GMT 1999

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Jason Haines wrote:

> Does anyone know what effect, if any, going from a 12.4 Ohm to 14.5 Ohm
> injector will have. I know this change is commonly made when switching
> between different OE injectors but I was just wondering from an electronics
> point of view and driver circuit point of view what this might do.
>
> PS - I realize that unless you have a ECU designed for low impedance
> injectors you can't run low impedance (2 ohm) injectors with a ECU designed
> for high impedance injectors (although some aftermarket ECU's are designed
> to work with both).

I cannot see a reall problem.   Electrically the higher resistant
would require less current which would be less likely to burn out
something.  Now things would not be a problem so long as the higher
ohm injector needed to be driven by a different (not 12v) voltage.

I believe I actually went from a GM injector (that was about 12-13) to
a Ford SVO injector (about 15) and have been running that for over a
year with no issues.