OBD-II Interface

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 1 14:43:03 GMT 1999

At 11:08 PM 11/1/1999 +1100, you wrote:
>Just wondering if anybody has been involved in some sort of hardware
>interface for an OBD-II application?. Not that I'm after one, but it seems
>the 'Standard' for data transmission is readily available for any programmer
>to come up with something on a P.C.

Ross,
I had been playing for a while with it, but the hardware solutions offerred
have to have internal code written to get them to talk, then something on
the PC written to interface with them as well.  I have a bunch of chip
samples from Harris and Motorola for doing OBD_II, but no luck finding any
samples of code etc... Also, evaluation boards, which are cheap for the
HC11, are $1000.00 + for the OBD-II class chips.  Guess they only want the
big money manufacturers having access to them.
Alex Peper, Who I know from my Dodge Neon days, has a web based OBD_II
scantool available for ~$120.00 US.  Not sure what hardware solution he
went with, but he has it for GM, Chrysler and Ford plus some foreign
cars.   Check out: http://www.obd-2.com/

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!