mystery motor

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Mon Nov 1 19:02:34 GMT 1999

>Well.. Page 110 of "The Fabulous Firebird "  John Z. DeLorean had ask race
>driver/builder Jack Brabham and his Repco organization in Australia and
>England to come up with a 5 liter overhead cam SCCA racing version of the
>400 cid Pontiac V8.
>Pontiac contracted with Repco to build five ohc v-8's in Australia. The
>motor had to have a stud pattern to take Pontiac heads and use a Pontiac Wet
>Sump. The block was designed by Repco and made in cast iron. Capacity was
>five liters. The engine had single overhead cams driven by bushed Morse
>chain.

Interesting. I worked in Morse's R& D lab at about that time. I spent some
time around the test set-up for the Ford FE 427 SOHC timing drive, but
never saw anything for a Repco/Poncho! They must have done the work at
their facility in Oz, and not mentioned it to us!

Regards, Greg

Heads were cast aluminum,and Lucas fuel injection was used.