The Mystery Motor (Repco V8)

Ross Myers ponty at axis.jeack.com.au
Wed Nov 3 06:03:34 GMT 1999

Well I'll just cut and paste the reply I got from my Father-In-Law on the
subject of this motor, he was working at Repco at the time, so here goes.-
--------------------------------------
The Repco Brabham was developed in Australia there certainly was no outside
money or help the engine was loosely based on the Buick all alloy 215 ci V/8
but only the block was similar there were home built OHC heads  the block
was also cast in Australia as the original was not strong enough.
I was told that the whole project cost over in 4 years  around 6 million Aus
$ for engine and car development I wonder how much it would cost to win a
couple world titles now???
One interesting point was the intake manifold has no butterfly's but was a
slide operation this was a fairly scary thing because in those days the cars
had good power and the tires were terrible the tires would throw rubber up
and road debris and the slide throttles would stick
I can remember one driver sarcastically commenting that at least they never
stick shut
They usually stuck wide open usually at a brake point at the end of the
straight scary stuff  The car Jack Brabham  won the world championship is
still in Melbourne and still is driven usually by Sir Jack at the Australian
GP this car had no seat belts or fuel cells the car is aluminium monocock
and the fuel tank goes down both sides it was  thought it was better for the
driver to be thrown out in a crash because of the fire risk.

Well that's about it.

Ross Myers