INTRODUCTION - Olds FI

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Fri Nov 5 05:17:59 GMT 1999

>are you familiar with the 77 caddy-350 olds setup? if you are could you
>enlighten me?

Yes, and I hope you're not bidding on the one on Ebay.  ;^>

In answer to your previous question, the '165 with my cal uses MAF.   '90
and up with the '727/'730 uses MAP.  I'm not sure if there ever existed a
'165 with MAP (mabye Aussie).  From what I've learned so far, I'd probably
be better off with the MAP since it's more dissected than the '165, but
there are several members here working the '165.

Manifold fits SB Olds, 307-403.   Was controlled by a horrible analog
computer.   The injectors were peak and hold low impedance, won't work with
a modern GM ECM.    I retrofitted Ford injectors to mine, I've got the
later 76-80 aluminum intake manifold so machining (err... drilling) is MUCH
easier.  I'm basically using just the intake and fuel rails.  Everything
else stock went in the trash, and I'm using all the stock TPI sensors.  I'm
working on a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I consider setting up fuel rails and injector mounts to be a bit more work
than I can do, so that's why I went this route.  Also, the injectors are
already nicely aimed at the top of the valves.  Home-made fuel rails which
mount the injectors at angles are even harder to make.

Here's a few pix of my work.  My camera is out for repair, so it hasn't
been updated in a while.

http://www.liii.com/~ravalent/tpi/

>At 07:03 PM 11/3/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>>Mike Swayze wrote:
>>>
>>> how new are these trucks?
>>> I am hoping to be able to scrounge most of the parts and am only beginning
>>> to get an idea of what I will need.
>>> I gleaned this from the net:
>>>      TPI intake
>>>      TPI plenum and runners
>>>      Throttle body
>>>      MAF sensor, intake hose, filter case
>>>      Injectors (19 lb/hr for 305, 22 lb/hr for a 350)
>>>      Oxygen sensor (if your's doesn't already have one)
>>>      Knock sensor (if your's doesn't already have one)
>>>      Intake air temp sensor (goes in plenum underside)
>>>      EGR solenoid
>>>      Coolant temperature sensor
>>>      Cold start injector sensor
>>>      Electronic Control Module (ECM or computer)
>>>      Re-route EGR and charcoal cannister ported vacuum as per TPI setup
>>>      A/C bracket to TPI intake (upside-down U-shaped bracket)
>>>
>>> I had talked with BDS about bank to bank and ballpark figures costwise wer
>>> in the 3-7g range.
>>> I would  hope scrounged parts would put me under 1g.
>>> any ideas on specific later vortec sefi part# or manuals regarding such.
>>8 cyl Vortec is different from (early)6 cyl Vortec, and big block
>>Vortec is different from small block Vortec.
>>(early) 6 cyl= cpi, one "injector" solenoid providing fuel to 6 poppet
>>nozzles.  Needs >55 psi fuel pressure to operate, and very troubled in
>>the early years.  Batch fire all the way.
>>
>>I believe small block Vortec ( I've only seen a few) has 6 solenoids,
>>centrally located, and 6 poppets.  It is definitely sequential, and is
>>mounted in a composition type intake manifold.  This type of intake
>>was offered for sale on Ligenfelter's used parts page, but they
>>wouldn't give me any information about it.  Where/how would one get
>>larger injectors?
>>
>>Big block Vortec is more traditional in appearance, having external
>>rails and injectors.  Fuel does not circulate through these rails, but
>>is returned through the regulator mounted just prior to the inlet.
>>Aluminum intake, machined for injectors.
>>
>>Vortec big block was introduced in MY 95 or 96, and Vortec smallblock
>>was introduced in 96 model year.
>>So, which Vortec system are you considering?
>>Shannen

--> Bob Valentine
--> bob at tecmark.com