Free ALDL Software

Paul Blackmore paul_blackmore at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 22:12:57 GMT 1999

Hi All,

Recently I made available some ALDL software called probe.exe. A new version
(version 1.3) of this software is available at
http://www.users.bigpond.com/paul_blackmore/CProgramming.htm

The latest version contains some bug fixes and a new log file format which
is compatible with a new application that I am about to release called
CarBytes.

CarBytes is completely 100% free of charge I'm not charging any money for
this software, I wrote it because I needed it and I've seen a lot of posts
on this list about people wanting to "read" their ALDL data streams. Lots of
people have helped me out on this list - I'm just giving something back :)

CarBytes is a full featured ALDL analysis and charting application.
It is 100% customisable for ANY ALDL data stream: If you know what values
are in the data stream you can configure CarBytes to display them as
numbers, real-time-scrolling graphs or bit-flags.

It is written for Windows 95/98/NT and requires data be input to the PC via
the serial port. (Using a TTL to RS232 converter like a MAX232 circuit)

Features:
  Up to 128 (this can be increased if necessary) individual values can be
tracked simultaneously. Including malfunction flags and status flags.
  Up to 3 charts, each with up to four series can be charted simultaneously.
  Charts are fully customisable.
  Built in "Formulas" can be applied to the raw byte values to generate
"proper" units of measure. I want to include more built in formulas but I
don't know how a lot of them are calculated. Let me know if you have any and
I'll include them.
  High and low water mark alarms can be set and fail counts are generated
for values outside the high/low water marks.
  Recording and playback of data streams.
  Multiple ALDL data stream formats can be configured.
  Pause and single step modes.

  If anyone is interested in this software let me know. If there is enough
interest I'll be posting it sooner rather than later. I.e if no-one is
interested I won't bust my guts to have it ready this weekend. If lots of
people want it then I'll get it done. I need some sort of motivation.

Cheers
Paul Blackmore