Motronic 2.4 (BMW motorcycles)

Nils Powell bini at tassie.net.au
Sun Nov 7 18:17:05 GMT 1999

Greetings

Is there anyone on the list who can assist please.

BMW on the latest bikes use a Mot 2.4 system. They claim the diagnostic
codes can only be accessed via their own MoDiTeC unit.

A group of us have been trying to do this with normal workshop equipment
but we cannot prompt a reply with any of the more common methods and a
scope on the single diagnostics pin relevant to the Mot remains silent
despite our efforts. We have tried grounding the pin and various pulses
etc. At rest and O/C the pin has 12V and had a pull up resistor of some
large value in series. There is no voltage drop across a 1K.

We succeeded with the earlier 2.1 system and ABS 1 & 2 ( ie the 3 pin
diag plug ) and if anyone could use this let me know. With these it is a
simple procedure.

For information the diagnostics plug is  round with 10 pins. 1 = Mot
diagnosis   2 = ABS Diag  3= fuel reserve ( I think to set the low fuel
warning light activation point )  4 = gnd  5 = trip computer (
presumably for setting the output eg MPG or Lt per 100 Km ) 6 = B+  7 =
Cruise control diag   8 =Radio Diag   9 = D+ ( Alternator output ) 10 =
ti signal ( attached to the injector pulse line between injectors and
ECU ) There is an 800 ohm resistor across the trip computer ( 5 ) to gnd
( 4 ) when the diagnostic pin plug cover is in place.

Is anyone with the right experience able to point us in the right
direction so we can work at accessing  the diagnosis function ?

Thanks and cheers
Nils
Tasmania. Australia.