TBI tomfoolery (was cam duration)

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Mon Nov 8 23:45:24 GMT 1999

CSH-HQ wrote:

> >Actually, I'm planning to eventually go to a Torker single plane (have one),
> >and port injection. Might stay with the '747, might do to a '730, don't know
> >yet. '730 has definite advantages.
>
> FWIW, the best sneeky manifold I've found is a Weiand 7225.  Single plane
> w/EGR that when painted black almost looks stock, kinda lame down low, but
> with a 2800 stall converter is nice.
> >
> >Right now, I have a Performer RPM (dual plane) on the car, and a 5.7L TBI
> >ready to bolt on.
>
> One thing I never liked with a dual plane, you wind up with four pairs of
> matched runners.  Engine is never right.  Always a compromise.

Yea, I hated to go to it, but I needed to reduce the torque peak, and
flatten it out.

> >I think this is the second time in a couple of days you mentioned a vacuum
> >referenced FPR for a TBI. I'm not sure of the reason for it, as your adding
> >another tuning variable. Fuel pressure and injector flow changes with manifold
> >pressure. In port injection it's done to eliminate a tuning variable.
>
> Running large injectors on my TBI took using two FPRs.  One vacuum
> referenced, and a second to clip max FP.  Was the only way at the time to
> get the motor to pull cleanly.  Light car gears loose converter takes alot
> of intial fuel.

Now this is an idea, you get a quick response and more dynamic range
on the injectors. Your other post showed you were using a 18% to 90%
ve range. With the vac-ref'd reg you increase that range. More tuning,
but repeatable.

> >You know', one of those Smokey cross ram jobs would be kinda cool
> >with dual two-bbl TBI's.
>
> With the way the plenum is the difference in velocity really isn't an issue.
> and the cross fire I got has 2 butterflies already installed,
>
>  You wouldn't know where I could get one,
> >would ya'? <g> I could easily go this way.
>
> Found it on eBay, won't talk about the price, but it's good, and the only
> one I've seen in 15+ years.
> agrumpy

Had to figure something like that wouldn't be cheap!

> >BobR.

BobR.