Using TBI on moded 5.7

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Nov 10 01:16:37 GMT 1999

gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu wrote:

> I'll keep messing with it hope to find something.  The part that really bugs me
> is no TPS adjustment.  It's possible I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Ok, I've reached my limit.  If you suspect the TPS is causing a
problem at idle because of the voltage, use your spare TPS and set it
at the voltage you want.  In my experience, .78v is not a problem.  My
747/crossfire equipped pickup is set to .75v.  The specs I posted are
the specs I use in the dealership.  Take that however you'd like.
Next...

You're smarter than the ECM.  Do you suspect the engine's running
rich?  Lean it out.  Do you suspect lean?  Richen it up.  Eliminate as
many sensors as possible, force the ECM to do what you want.  Have you
diagnosed problems with a carburetor? If you've been succesful before,
you can do it here.

Is the ECM in closed loop when it hesitates?  Open?  What are the O2
voltages?  Fuel pressure?  Block learn and integrator numbers?  Does
the engine smooth out if you bring up the rpm?  What tools are you
using to diagnose this?  Do you have a scan tool?  Factory manual?

The engine in my pickup is a Chev 302, crossfire injection, 7747 ECM,
9.5:1, with 214/224 dur @.050, 140 deg LSA,.443 gross lift cam.  It
idles well, little sign of lumpedy-ness (far cry from the old
crossfire ecm ; > ).  Your combination should also work well.  The cam
is smaller and the displacement is larger.

Lotsa sharp folks on this list.  Ask for what you want, give us a good
starting point, and you'll get some useful answers.  You snuck in with
a request for opinions on possible modifications, and ended up talking
about a driveability problem.  That's cheating ; ) and it doesn't
really paint a clear picture of what's going on.
Shannen