ECM fault?

Programmer nwester at eidnet.org
Tue Nov 9 21:13:13 GMT 1999

If the O2 sensor is contaminated, it's usually coated with a white powdery
coating, and will result in a high but false O2 reading. This'll command
"lean" from the PCM and fuel will be reduced.

A sticking TPS (over 1.25V) will disable idle control from the ECM

If the IAT sensor differs from ECT by more than 5 degrees, check for high
resistance in the ECT circuit or the sensor itself. Cleaning the IAT probe
can help, too.

If your brother has a scanner--what's the long term fuel correction doing at
idle ? Has anyone confirmed mechanical condition of the engine ? Sure you
may have 20" vacuum--but is it rock solid steady ? Does it fluctuate with
the change in engine "idle" speed ?

Is charging voltage consistent ? If the voltage varies at idle, the IAC can
actually change position, which results in poor idle quality.

Make sure A/C refrigerant pressure isn't too high if "idling" in defrost or
A/C on. A defective pressure switch can cause an unstable idle.

IS the scan tool receiving an A/C "on" request, though the A/C is off ?

IS the P/N switch showing correct position via scan tool ??

Here's some more to chew on...

Lyndon