Using TBI on moded 5.7

Mike Vannorsdel vannorsdel at rmi.net
Wed Nov 10 11:01:26 GMT 1999

Cheating?  Sorry but I assembled the engine and had it running in 5 hours(day after
the first post).  I have tons of engine building experience, mostly carbed, anywhere
from 200-1000hp.  The TBIs I have used were Holley and were fully adjustable.  I'm
not too familiar with the Rodchester.  My soul problem lies in just a rich idle
circuit and too much accelerator charge(causing poor response).  I have removed the
PCV and plugged the port because I was tired of the oil coated intake runners.  The
injectors give a nice cone spray and seem to be great.  All I could figure that was
responsible for the rich idle and heavy accelerator shot is the TPS.  So naturally I
replaced it.  Same thing.   I'm trying to understand why the ecm is wanting to give
so much fuel at idle and throttle opening.  All of the engine sensors have been
replaced and give good readings except for the TPS which I was told specs for it
were 0.5v idle and 4.5-5v WOT.  The problems occur in closed and open loop.  I know
the problem but don't know how to correct it on the TBI.  That's what I'm looking
for:  how do I lean the idle and lean the accelerator shot?