eproms

Mika Helander mika_helander at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 16:59:17 GMT 1999

There is "incompatible" upgrade path from 2716->2764 type of EPROMs but from
128-512 there is only one added address line per next step to bigger chip.
That means that if those smaller EPROM n.c. pins are not pulled away from
socket and connected to ground this "copying" is needed to give data to CPU
when it reads it.
The real problem in point of CPU view is that if those n.c. pins are really
not connected in PCB those pins can oscillate - this is chip manufacturer
dependent.

As a conclusion I suggest that (because nowadays bigger chips are cheaper
than "old" smaller ones) use bigger one, put EPROM to two stacked sockets
and glue dip switch in position of the socket it fits, connect other side of
it to ground pin in socket and other end pins to bigger chip address pins
(means cut these pins from upper socket and solder wires to those cutted
pins) which are n.c. in smaller one. Then put that constructed
EPROM-cutted_socket-non_cutted_socket stack to chip socket in ECU.

I did this kind of "stacking" some 15 years ago when I made my own EPROM
burner and used those bigger chips in older computers equipped with sockets
for smalled EPROMs.

-Mika