[admin] What next.... (MUST READ)

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 clive at problem.tantech.com
Thu Nov 11 16:49:10 GMT 1999

> I just talked to my sister and the offer is still open but for various
> reasons it would be really good if we could get it by the end of next
> week.  Short notice, I know.  A "sponsored by xxxxxx" ad at the top of
> the page is all she wants in exchange.  As far as a domain name, I think
> the cost is very reasonable, like $70/year or something.

$ 70 / 2 years

> John, can you give us an idea what the minimum requirements would be for
> a machine to handle the lists in non digest mode and the WWW traffic?  I
> guess a 100 Mbit/sec connection would also be good?

look at total volume around 250 MB / day mail and FTP
machine does not have to be that powerful, just has to have decent bandwidth
a P 100 with a 100bt card should handle the mail tossing and FTP

> up to the cost of the machine also :-).  I'm also NOT a linux head so
> I'll need someone's help in the Austin area to get it set up and
> configured before delivery.

if you can load Linux from a commercial package most of the admin can
be remotely done
stick with 3Com network cards they work well with Linux

> Personally, I'd prefer this approach over one of the free public hosting
> sites because it gives us total flexibility in terms of CGI, ftp site,
> etc.

Frederic at Xephic made similar offer
the mail list I am on that runs from his site works well
and he is onsite there to do the admin

Clive