8cyl DIS

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Nov 12 02:16:24 GMT 1999

Bja1078 at aol.com wrote:

> Well, if u can get more info I'm interested! I work on caddy's all day and
> I've tried to figure out how to use one of those modules, but it seems to me
> you would need the specific reluctor ring which is cast into the crank! I've
> been working on this for a little while, the problem is that the northstar is
> the only motor with a v8 coil pack so anyideas??

Sure.  Since I'm a Chevy guy, scan/copy the ecm wiring diagrams,
pertinent info from trouble code areas of manual, maybe some training
info if you've got it.

Is the crank sensor a/c type?  2 wire sensor bolted into the block?
How many notches on the crank ring?  The 4 cyls use a double pulse for
#1 cyl, with 5 additional notches. Is the Northstar similar?  I'm
thinking that notches ground into a crank pulley may work, or notches
in a flywheel, or special "rotor" in the distributor, or something
else.  Definitely not undoable
Shannen