ECM fault? Ignition ????

Programmer nwester at eidnet.org
Thu Nov 11 01:52:55 GMT 1999

>>PS: Idle fluctuation is about 50..80 RPM, but when it falls it is causing
roughness and shaking the whole body<<

Along Davids' suggestion about the pickup signal being lost -- that's
EXTREMELY plausible--minimum signal RPM to the module must be at least
700mV. A weak magnet (reluctor) or cracked magnet is often the cause. The
centre brush of this HEI system must also be 3000 ohms--there can be enough
RFI to confuse the PCM into false triggering. Most aftermarket brushes are
lower in value. Another thing--if the MAP value follows RPM--the PCM
commands rich as the RPM drops--and idle worsens. Even though the O2 may be
cycling rich/lean at idle and you get a corresponding roughness--you may be
chasing the wrong thing. Ignition is critical to everything...

My last word...about this thread

Lyndon.