Auto learn code

Scot Sealander Sealand at clarityconnect.com
Tue Nov 16 02:55:50 GMT 1999

Well, spent the weekend out driving around with the auto learn
code installed in the ECM.  It works!  After a lot of driving around in
various load/speed settings, the VE table is coming together.

An observation.  I think the manifold is a terrible place to put
the MAT sensor....  (The learn code also stores the MAT sensor
readings, to compare the VE numbers recorded at different MAT temps.)
At low airflow (like idle) the MAT temp is quite high.  The more
the airflow, the lower the MAT gets.  But I think the MAT air temps
are a lot higher than actual air temps.  As today, at 20 to 30
degrees F colder than Saturday, the VE numbers are different, esp at
idle.

I am using a air temp density table that is close to the theoretical
air density change with temp.  This may not work with a MAT sensor,
as it seems to get artificially warmed....  The next logical step
seems to put the air temp sensor at the output of the intercooler,
and use a airflow based adder to get actual cylinder air temp.

Scot Sealander