3.4L DOHC ABM

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Thu Nov 18 21:06:00 GMT 1999

-> Are you referring to the pushrod 3.4 here?  Didn't think the DOHC
-> ever made it to an F-body or other RWD.

 Actually, I don't know.  My brother purchased the trans (with
bellhousing) from a junkyard near him.  He unbolted it from the 3.4
himself, but he didn't specify whether it was pushrod or DOHC.

 The V6 had the FWD bellhousing to trans pattern, of course.  Neither of
us suspected the trans to bellhousing pattern might be off.  The trans
snout was correct, but the bolt pattern didn't match even approximately
to the Saginaw pattern.  He measured the bolt spacings on the trans;
they were identical to one of the Mustang T5 cases I had on hand, so I
used that for a pattern and modified a Chevy bellhousing to take it.
The very tip of the input shaft, where it rides in the pilot bearing,
was the only difference from the Chevy input shaft - depending on
clearance, he might have to trim 1/4 inch or so off.

 I thought it was passing strange the box had a Ford pattern.  I had a
Chevy pattern case on hand, but it's a different model and the cluster
gear stuff won't interchange.  Just as well, I'd rather modify a
bellhousing than swap cases on a T5.  Those things are giant Rubik's
Cubes.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?