Aldl Communication

Craig Moates craig.moates at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 23 03:21:17 GMT 1999

Andrew,

To get mine to work, using quick-basic, I just send out the requests in 8192
until the ECM responds. Once it catches, it seems OK. I think there's some
trickiness to it which I must have overcome with brute redundancy. It seems
to work best when the 10k resistor is inserted prior to power-up. Then, once
the 8192 stream catches, the resistor can be removed. I just wired the
back-side of my ALDL up to a modular phone jack, including ground, signal,
12v, and 'pin b' for easy connection to the MAX232 device I have. Sometimes
8192 communication gets fouled up, and I have to power down for a while
either on the MAX232 or the car. If you want, take a look at my code, it's
on the incoming FTP under 'aldl-165.zip'. I've had pretty decent luck with
Z28 & Corvette code.

By the way, I'd be interested in that BUA code, it's really getting to me
trying to extrapolate the only 165 disassembly I have to Z-28 & T/A code.
Give me a holler if you want to talk more off-line.

Best of luck!
-Craig