"parallel port interface cable"

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Nov 30 18:08:32 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Wesley <mwesley at mediaone.net>
To: <gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: "parallel port interface cable"

| I think
| > that some of us who have posted up copies of chip maker's bins for
| > discussion is a questionable/acceptable area and is just part of the
fact
| > that this small group enjoys the challenge to discuss, debate and
improve or
| > maybe sell their efforts to a few friends, and this is not enough to
compete
| > with the national advertisement aftermarket chip tuners have and the
| > exposesure it brings them.
|
| This brings up a good point. It is illegal to distribute copies of chips
| (.bin or .hex) that contain a program from an GM ECU. It's illegal to
| sell them also.
| Is GM going to do anything about it?

Actually the early ecm information (code etc) was suposed to be released
into the public domain, but the EPA, and GM have been sniping about it for
like 15 years now.  It was supposed to make diagnostics tools an open
market, so that no car manufacturer risked violating any anti-trust laws.
But, pay enough lawyers long enough and nothing gets done, other than making
the lawyers rich.  Oh well such is life.
Grumpy
 Probably not..they would have done