Orlando-Kissimee Electronics/salvagers

Brent Obermiller ober_b at sssnet.com
Mon Oct 4 00:21:36 GMT 1999

Hi Brent.

I got interested how did You disable EGR in ANLW PROM? I'm having
7747 with ANLX in Chevy VAN 20 350 TBI followed by TH-700. After
removing
CAT and replacing stock cast-iron manifolds by headers I got those
EGR-32-codes...

--Mika

Hi Mika,

I was going to respond to you directly but I want to make sure I'm
explaining it correctly (so guys feel free to jump in).  I didn't really
disable the EGR, but rather the ECM's ability to set the EGR (32) code
which would force limp-home and the SES light.  It's my understanding
that the ECM commands the EGR (under certain conditions) to close (when
it would normally be open) and it looks for the vacuum to increase a
specific amount.  In my case, my cam makes less vacuum that expected; in
yours I suspect that the lack of back pressure decreases the pressure
(vacuum) change. The short answer is that I modified the enable bit for
error 32, recalculated the checksum, and burnt a new chip.  It's my
understanding that the EGR still operates and the test is performed but
the code cannot be set.  This works for me as it was not my intention to
disable the EGR only eliminate the limp-home problem.

Brent

P.S. A heated  O2 sensor switched off the fuel pump relay wouldn't be a
bad idea, with the headers.  I run one with my cast iron manifolds.